cookies-varning

onsdag 22 januari 2014

Waka Waka (This one for Africa)

No this has nothing to do with Shakira, although I hope I get a gazillion extra hits due to the title. Sneaky eh? Instead I want to show you some finished and some WIP shots of the Perry figures I'm working on for North Africa.

You've seen these guys before, but I like them so I'm showing them again.
I finished these two for a speed build between christmas and new year's eve.

Some mould lines there I didn't notice...
The official designation was Rifle, Anti-Tank, .55in, Boys. I just call it a BFG!
And then it's on to the dastardly hun...

A squad plus a mortar team. I built a full sprue of figures at once but I only paint five or six at a time. 

I had to convert a MG team to that infamous "over the shoulder" pose.
Painting has begun. I try to vary the appearance but use similar colours on all figures to tie them together.
The squad leader naturally has an MP40, or Schmeisser as it's incorrectly called.
The DAK has more stuff to paint than the desert rats, like arm cuffs. Also I missed a mould line on the right guy's arm.
The platoon commander. "Vorwärts, männer!"
This project is coming along nicely. Expect a painting guide when I've finished the first figures. I'm already thinking of what to buy next, despite having more than sixty figures left to paint. These are destined to be used with Chain of Command where you start with a platoon and then add some support. So a heavy MG team on both sides is on the to-buy list, as is some vehicles. Maybe a carrier for the British and a half track or an armoured car for the Germans.

But here's the rub; Do I go 1/48 scale and use all the nice plastic models from Tamiya and others, or do I go the resin 1/56 scale that is supposed to be correct for 28mm figures? Price-wise it's a toss-up, they cost about the same. The kits are fiddlier, but I like building model kits so it's not really a down-side. On the other hand there are more vehicles available in resin as 1/48 scale is quite new for armour models, and Copplestone do a nice 28mm Rolls-Royce armoured car in metal.

And I have always wanted a Rolls...

10 kommentarer:

  1. Impressive work all around Leif. Great colours for the Brits.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I think they are awesome. My only comment (which I doubt can be seen IRL) is that the helmet of the rifleman in the second and third picture seem to be floating above his head. Did I mention, awesome? Good.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yeah, I know about the helmet. It doesn't show as much from above, but it does sit too high.

      Radera
  3. Excellent Leif! You have painted them really well too

    SvaraRadera
  4. love the classic over the shoulder machine gun pose.

    I have read that the Perry figures are bit on the small size, so it seems like 1/48 would be too big, particularly since you are using thinner bases.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Very good paint work. I'll go for the 1/56 as there is a wider range available and probably less problematic when playing with other people,as it is a more popular scale

    SvaraRadera
  6. Very good color scheme my Dear Leif ^^

    SvaraRadera
  7. They've painted up really nicely. Great work with the MG34 conversion as well.

    SvaraRadera

Wayland games

Wayland Games